List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:July 5 2000 4:01am
Subject:Re: MySQL on Linux .......
View as plain text
At 8:53 PM -0700 2000-07-04, rivets wrote:
>The first part of this post is a request for directions to the best
>newsgroup:  where do I go for questions about MySQL on Linux
>installation problems?
>
>I'll toss in the second part, because my problem seems of a general
>nature.  I'm a totally-green newbie trying to get MySQL working on
>Mandrake 7.0.  For reference, it's a fairly modern box with lots of
>memory.  Following directions that seem standardized from several
>sources, I've downloaded the file
>mysql-3.22.32-pc-linux-gnu-i686.tar.gz

A distribution file with a name like that is a binary distribution,
you don't need to run configure or make.  You're probably reading
the instructions for a source distribution.  Read the install
instructions for binary distributions.  After installing, you'll
be running mysql_install_db, not configure or make.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread