List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:June 1 1999 12:21pm
Subject:Re: Performance
View as plain text
Tracy R Reed wrote:
> On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 09:00:28AM -0600, Sasha Pachev wrote:
> > If you set it up like this you will run into the 2 GB limit for the
> > table size. A better way to do this is store the images on the
> > filesystem in a well-designed subdirectory structure.
> In cases like these, it is a shame that MySQL/Linux does not support raw
> devices. A filesystem is really just a specialized case of a database anyway.
> To throw another more general layer on top is rather wasteful.

If MySQL did support raw devices it would not be free, for one, and the
performance gain would not have been that great anyway. To support a raw
device you basically have to impement your own filesystem on it.

> > Another thing, good table design can save you a lot of disk space and
> > will speed up your queries. Normalize your tables, replace chars with
> > ints whenever possible, index your tables well.
> I have a database which contains a field with comma separated integers in a
> very long list. I can't use ints here obviously, but it has been bugging me
> for quite a while because I know there's got to be a better way of storing
> this info. I want to associate all of these values with the key. Any
> suggestions?

If the range of the integers is rather small ( 1..64 if I am not
mistaken) you can try a set. If it is bigger, but still reasonably
limited, you can store them in a blob bitmask. Another option is
normalization, binding each int to a key, and storing pairs (key, int)

> --
> Tracy Reed
> Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
> -- Henry Spencer

Sasha Pachev
PerformanceMichael Farr30 May
  • Re: PerformanceSasha Pachev30 May