List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:July 4 2000 11:18pm
Subject:Re: Mysql password trouble
View as plain text
At 3:51 PM -0700 2000-07-04, Luis wrote:
>Thank you for the help, but it still did not work. I keep getting
>
>mysqlladmin password (mypassword)
>mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
>error 'access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'
>
>I finally go "Teach yourself Mysql in 21 days"
>
>in the book it tell's me to put in
>
>mysqladmin -password "newpassword"

I've not seen the book (yet) but if it says that, there is a problem.
For the command as given "-password" will be interpreted as the
"-p" option followed by the password "assword", and this will
be taken to indicate your *current* password.  Then the value
"newpassword" will be taken as the command to perform, which is
probably not a legal command word unless you've chosen one of those
as your password.

If you currently have no password (that is you can execute a command
like "mysqladmin status" without specifying a password), the command
to set your password is:

	mysqladmin password "newpassword"

If you already have a password, say, "abc", then you need to specify
it to change to a new password:

	mysqladmin -pabc password "newpassword"
or	mysqladmin --password=abc password "newpassword"

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread