List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:May 31 1999 5:22pm
Subject:Re: moving a db
View as plain text
Darrell Shifflett wrote:

> Im trying to send a database to a new server on my localnet.
>
> mysqldump -u root -pmy_passwd -hOLDserver.com database_name | \
> mysql -u root -pmy_passwd -hNEWserver.com database_name
>
> mysqldump: Got error: 1045: access denied for user: 'root@stripped'
> (Using password: YES)
>
> on the NEWserver i have created the new database. I also on the OLDserver
> have done:
> mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES on *.* TO root@stripped
> mysql> IDENTIFIED BY 'my_passwd' WITH GRANT OPTION;
> mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
>
> My question is, why cant mysqldump have access on the OLDserver?
> I can: mysql -u root -p
> Enter password: ********
> and access all db's from the OLDserver. Of course all privileges have been
> set for 'localhost' for 'root'
> Also, privileges were set for root@stripped on root@stripped so
> that it will populate the database.
>
> I have done this before with no problems. Am i just missing something
> here?
>
> OS> Redhat 5.2
> MySQL version> 3.22.22
>
> thanks in advance,

Hi Darrell

The difference is, that the second command (the successful mysql) is using a pipe to
connect to mysql as root@localhost, while the first command uses TCP/IP and therefore
tries to connect as root@stripped.
Perhaps your DNS is not correctly setup.

Tschau
Christian

Thread
moving a dbDarrell Shifflett31 May