List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Benjamin Pflugmann Date:May 31 1999 11:45am
Subject:Re: transactonal integrity
View as plain text
Hi.

A database which ensures transactional integrity allows you to do
several SQL statements in a row and ensures you that nobody
interefes. Additionally, when speaking of transaction with rollback,
if one statement fails, you can take back alltogether, i.e. either
none or all or the statements get executed.

Note, however, that except for rollback you can in a lot of cases you
can work around the need for transactions by other ways. (Btw, you
don't need transactions at all, if you are only 'select'ing data, if
that was not clear yet).

Have a look at section 5 of the manual mentioned in the footer of this
mail, especially at section 5.2 and 5.4, which explain quite nicely
what MySQL lacks and how to cope with.

Bye,

	Benjamin.