List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:James Chelin Date:May 28 1999 7:49pm
Subject:Re: MYSQL solution
View as plain text
At 03:22 PM 5/27/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I am trying to get the connection of ms Access to ISP's mysql working and
>have MYODBC installed, but cant seem to get my head around how to make the
>two of them talk to each other.
>What I want to do is have the access database ( local ) update the MYSQL
>database ( remote ) and vise versa.
>
>I am new to MYSQL and I am trying to extract information from the manual,
>but it is confusing me more than anything.
>
>I have exportSQL version 2.1   http://www.cynergi.net/prod/exportsql/
>compiled into the access database and fought the mysql into importing the
>results ...
>hint : does not set PRIMARY KEY to NON NULL when creating tables
>so at this point I have exact ( I hope) same data local and remote.
>
>QUESTION IS :
>how do I link the tables / databases ???

Well In Access you can go to the File menu, and click on get External Data.
 You can then Link ODBC tables from there.  I have had no need to use
exportSQL for any reason.  I can just use the Save As/Export from the
Access file menu, and select an ODBC database.  You need your MyODBC to be
setup correctly, and also you need to I had to run this program on the
server so I could access it.

mail:/usr/local/mysql/bin# mysql_setpermission
Password for user  to connect to MySQL:
## Welcome to the permission setter 1.2 for MySQL.
## made by Luuk de Boer
What would you like to do:
  1. Set password for a user.
  2. Add a database + user privilege for that database.
     - user can do all except all admin functions
  3. Add user privilege for an existing database.
     - user can do all except all admin functions
  4. Add user privilege for an existing database.
     - user can do all except all admin functions + no create/drop
  5. Add user privilege for an existing database.
     - user can do only selects (no update/delete/insert etc.)
  0. exit this program

Make your choice [1,2,3,4,5,0]:

There is a part of this program where you can select the hosts allowed to
connect to the server when you create a user, and if your isp didn't use %
(for all) or put in your hostname, you wont be able to connect remotely.

My best suggestions.  I had little help trying to set this up, but the most
trouble I had was that MyODBC settings were wrong..

James

Thread
MYSQL solutionNeil28 May
  • Re: MYSQL solutionJames Chelin28 May