List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Fred Lindberg Date:May 28 1999 7:24pm
Subject:RE: Running MySQL under tcpserver/superv
View as plain text
On Fri, 28 May 1999 18:31:00 +0100, Robin Bowes wrote:

>I'd like to run MySQL under tcpserver and, in order to achieve this, I
>would need some way to tell MySQL not to become a background process.

This makes absolutely no sense at all.

tcpserver is a "tcp server" that forks a process per connection after
some optional restrictions. It does this fast and efficiently and makes
it easty to write simple single connection server apps to build a
server handling multiple connections. tcpserver simply runs one process
per client.

The MySQL server is NOT a forking process, i.e. it doesn't start a
process per connection, but rather a new thread is started per
connection. this is more efficient, although harder to program. MySQL
has its own authentiation, and you can use firewall code to restrict
the ability of outside hosts to even contact the MySQL port. Thus,
tcpserver offers nothing to MySQL.

"supervise" might make some sense in case you have problems keeping
mysql running and to simplify sending signals to it. OTOH - if you have
trouble keeping it up you have more serious problems and there should
be no reason to send it signals other than for shutdown.

FWIW-

-Sincerely, Fred

RE: Running MySQL under tcpserver/supervRobin Bowes28 May
  • Re: Running MySQL under tcpserver/supervSasha Pachev28 May
RE: Running MySQL under tcpserver/supervFred Lindberg28 May
RE: Running MySQL under tcpserver/supervRobin Bowes1 Jun