List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Charles Kirby Date:March 11 1999 8:32pm
Subject:Re: sort of defragmentation?
View as plain text
Ah, that's what I wanted to hear.  But surely, if Mysql doesn't support
foreign keys and triggers, what orphans could possibly result from
deleting a line in the existing mysql?  Other than anything you knowingly
set up yourself to specifically have a relationship from one table to
another, is any relationship built-in with the keystone database?

Thanks, ck

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Sasha Pachev wrote:

> Charles Kirby wrote:
> >
> > Aha, yes, and speaking of dependencies, are table-to-table dependencies
> > spelled out anywhere (I couldn't find this in the on-line manual)?
> > If, for instance, you deleted a line from a table like "contacts", could
> > this leave any orphan data?
> >

> Yes, it could. Since mysql does not suport foreign keys
> and triggers, it is your responsiblity as a programmer
> to ensure that your deletes preserve database integrity
>
> --
> Sasha Pachev
> http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)
> http://www.direct1.com/ (work)

Thread
sort of defragmentation?Mike Otto11 Mar
  • Re: sort of defragmentation?kalle volkov11 Mar
  • Re: sort of defragmentation?Christian Mack11 Mar
    • Re: sort of defragmentation?Charles Kirby11 Mar
      • Re: sort of defragmentation?Sasha Pachev11 Mar
        • Re: sort of defragmentation?Charles Kirby11 Mar
          • Re: sort of defragmentation?Sasha Pachev11 Mar
            • Re: sort of defragmentation?Charles Kirby11 Mar
              • Splitting query results among machines?Brian Bray11 Mar
                • RE: Splitting query results among machines?Brett Error11 Mar
  • SIGSEV using Mysql++Sander Pilon26 Aug
Re: sort of defragmentation?Ed Carp11 Mar
  • Re: sort of defragmentation?Sasha Pachev11 Mar
Re: sort of defragmentation?Ed Carp11 Mar
  • Re: sort of defragmentation?Christian Mack12 Mar
Re: Splitting query results among machines?Fred Lindberg11 Mar
Re: sort of defragmentation?Ed Carp12 Mar
Re: sort of defragmentation?Christian Mack13 Mar
Re: sort of defragmentation?Ed Carp13 Mar