List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:May 28 1999 5:53pm
Subject:Re: Deletions with Index Present
View as plain text
Charles Kirby wrote:

> Hi folks:
> I have a table with INDEX username (user_name(10)), and plan to add as
> many as 50,000 records a day (pretty slow going, this).  In order not to
> keep too much data, I plan to delete records once they've been around for
> a month (this means I have to do "flush tables" after the deletions).
>
> My question: since there's a load on the system to maintain the INDEX, I'm
> wondering if there's any kind of residual (accumulating) problem to be
> expected.  Actually, this is probably taken care of by the "flush tables"
> (or mysqladmin reload).  Anything to beware of here?
>
> Thanks en avance,
> ck

Hi Charles

I think you don't need 'flush tables' at all.
This is only used before backups are started.

The only problem that I can think of is, that if your table contains fields with variable
lenth (VARCHAR, TEXT, BLOB...) you will get fragmented Table files.

To prevent this, you can run isamchk on them (after stopping mysql) or (less optimal) use
the SQL command:
OPTIMIZE TABLE tableName
once in a while.

Tschau
Christian

Thread
Deletions with Index PresentCharles Kirby28 May
  • Re: Deletions with Index PresentChristian Mack28 May
    • Re: Deletions with Index PresentCharles Kirby29 May