List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:June 20 2000 12:37am
Subject:Re: How can read-only users create/drop temp tables?
View as plain text
At 4:18 PM -0400 06/19/2000, Thimble Smith wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 09:40:03AM -0700, Truoc Duong wrote:
>>  I want to give my developers only a SELECT privillege
>>  to all tables in my database.  But I also want to give
>>  them the privillege to CREATE/DROP TEMPORARY (NOT
>>  permanent) tables. Does anyone know how to do this in
>>  MySQL?
>
>The MySQL privilege system doesn't handle this, although it is
>a reasonable feature (I think).  The best replacement scheme I
>can think of is to simply have a scratch database where they
>can make tables.  You could set up a cron job to delete stale
>tables out of the data directory.  (Yes, this is pretty ugly.)
>
>Tim
>--
>Tim Smith   < tim@stripped >  :MySQL Development Team:  Boone, NC  USA.

I don't think it's that ugly.  But perhaps that's because this is
the system I use.  It has the advantage that it keeps temporary tables
out of the main database directory, too -- which is one problem that
occurs if the developers forget to specify TEMPORARY, or if you're
using a version of MySQL older than 3.23.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread