List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Van Date:May 27 1999 3:24am
Subject:Re: Web application benchmark results
View as plain text
Sasha Pachev wrote:

> I finally got around to installing PHP on our web
> server, and to celebrate the event, I decided to run a
> simple benchmark to compare CGI's in C, C++, Perl and
> SSI, PHP, and raw HTML. I must admit that the benchmark
> was greatly skewed to favor server parsed languages. The
> measurement in question was the response time for a
> request that would send the following HTML:

> So really the test was about how it it takes to get
> started, since the amount of time it takes to send the
> result over 10MB Ethernet is less than 1ms. So here are
> the results (Linux 2.0.29, Pentium II 233, 64 MB RAM, UW
> SCSI, Apache 1.3.6 with PHP 3.0.7):
>
> Method          Response time (ms)
> static HTML      2
> SSI              4
> PHP              5
>
> Statically
>  linked
> C CGI            6
>
> Dynamically
> linked C CGI     9
>
> Raw Perl CGI     16
>
> Statically
> linked C++ CGI   19
>
> Perl CGI
> with
> require 'cgilib.pl' 37
>
> Dynamically
> linked C++ CGI   39
>
> Again this is all about getting started. Just "Hello,
> world", that's it. Obviously the results will change
> quite a bit on a more complex program. I will probably
> do more tests tomorrow and publish the results. If any
> body has any suggestions/requests, let me know.
>
> --
> Sasha Pachev
> http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)
> http://www.direct1.com/ (work)
Sasha,
I'm quite encouraged.  Does this mean I don't have to learn PERL?  >:)
Thanks for the test.  Much useful.
Van
Linux rocks!!!   www.dedserius.com
Web application benchmark resultsSasha Pachev27 May
  • Re: Web application benchmark resultsVan27 May
  • Re: Web application benchmark resultsDave27 May
    • Re: Web application benchmark resultsSrfRoG27 May
  • Re: Web application benchmark resultsSasha Pachev27 May
    • Re: Web application benchmark resultsRitschie27 May
      • Re: Web application benchmark resultsDavor Cengija27 May
  • Re: Web application benchmark resultsVivek Khera27 May
    • Re: Web application benchmark resultsRitschie28 May
      • Re: Web application benchmark resultsSasha Pachev28 May
  • Re: Web application benchmark resultsSasha Pachev27 May
Re: Web application benchmark resultsmab27 May
  • Re: Web application benchmark resultsSasha Pachev27 May