List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:May 27 1999 12:22am
Subject:Web application benchmark results
View as plain text
I finally got around to installing PHP on our web
server, and to celebrate the event, I decided to run a
simple benchmark to compare CGI's in C, C++, Perl and
SSI, PHP, and raw HTML. I must admit that the benchmark
was greatly skewed to favor server parsed languages. The
measurement in question was the response time for a
request that would send the following HTML:

So really the test was about how it it takes to get
started, since the amount of time it takes to send the
result over 10MB Ethernet is less than 1ms. So here are
the results (Linux 2.0.29, Pentium II 233, 64 MB RAM, UW
SCSI, Apache 1.3.6 with PHP 3.0.7):

Method		Response time (ms)
static HTML	 2
SSI		 4
PHP		 5

Statically
 linked
C CGI		 6

Dynamically
linked C CGI	 9

Raw Perl CGI	 16

Statically
linked C++ CGI   19

Perl CGI
with
require 'cgilib.pl' 37

Dynamically
linked C++ CGI	 39

Again this is all about getting started. Just "Hello,
world", that's it. Obviously the results will change
quite a bit on a more complex program. I will probably
do more tests tomorrow and publish the results. If any
body has any suggestions/requests, let me know.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)
http://www.direct1.com/ (work)
Thread
Web application benchmark resultsSasha Pachev27 May
  • Re: Web application benchmark resultsVan27 May
  • Re: Web application benchmark resultsDave27 May
    • Re: Web application benchmark resultsSrfRoG27 May
  • Re: Web application benchmark resultsSasha Pachev27 May
    • Re: Web application benchmark resultsRitschie27 May
      • Re: Web application benchmark resultsDavor Cengija27 May
  • Re: Web application benchmark resultsVivek Khera27 May
    • Re: Web application benchmark resultsRitschie28 May
      • Re: Web application benchmark resultsSasha Pachev28 May
  • Re: Web application benchmark resultsSasha Pachev27 May
Re: Web application benchmark resultsmab27 May
  • Re: Web application benchmark resultsSasha Pachev27 May