List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jim Faucette Date:May 26 1999 4:51pm
Subject:Re: CHAR and VARCHAR
View as plain text
Ritschie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone please tell me what is the differnce between char and varchar?
> When is it good to use char and when is it good to use varchar?

The char field takes up the disk space you specify when you create the
field. Varchar take uses up to that amount. So:
  char(20) will use 20 bytes for the disk record.
  varchar(20) will use the length of the string or 20 whichever is less.

Generally if disk space is not a problem and speed is the issue, then
you should use char.

  jim...
Thread
AUTOINCREMENT & INSERT ...Sandrine C.26 May
  • Re: AUTOINCREMENT & INSERT ...Erik Liljencrantz26 May
Re: AUTOINCREMENT & INSERT ...jkraai26 May
Re: AUTOINCREMENT & INSERT ...Sandrine C.26 May
  • Re: AUTOINCREMENT & INSERT ...Paul DuBois26 May
    • CHAR and VARCHARRitschie26 May
      • Re: CHAR and VARCHARSasha Pachev26 May
      • Re: CHAR and VARCHARJim Faucette26 May
Re: AUTOINCREMENT & INSERT ...Nick Rawlings27 May