List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Steve Edberg Date:June 9 2000 11:59am
Subject:Re: Data entry... dBase IV users?
View as plain text
At 10:13 PM -0400 6/8/00, Kevin Speaks wrote:
>Are there any MySQL experts out there that have any experience with
>dBase IV?
>To edit data, I type in
> >From there, I can change existing data and add new data.  How is this
>done with MySQL?

Yep, I used to use dBase IV (and Db 5, 3, 2, Vulcan, and all the way
back to JPLDIS...). As I recall, the BROWSE command allowed you to
scroll back and forth through records, re-sort them, and
edit/delete/add records.

There is no tool that I'm aware of that is an exact analogue to
BROWSE - certainly not in the commandline client 'mysql' - but

) looks like it comes pretty close. For web-based use, phpmyadmin is
pretty versatile. There's also some Java front-ends which are listed,
along with phpmyadmin, at

You could also use a desktop database like MS-Access as a front-end,
connecting via ODBC. There have been some problems reported on the
list with this, mostly with Access2000 (I gather).

You might even be able to use dBase still; see It's now produced by KSoft, and is up to
version looks like you'd need the "Pro" version for ODBC

What kind of platform are you on?

	- steve

>Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect.
>WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above
>because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.

+--- "I wear the cheese, it does not wear me..." ------------------------+
| Steve Edberg                           University of California, Davis |
| sbedberg@stripped                               Computer Consultant |
+----------------------------------- - an unidentified man in a dream ---+
Data entry... dBase IV users?Kevin Speaks9 Jun
  • Re: Data entry... dBase IV users?Steve Edberg9 Jun
    • Re: Data entry... dBase IV users?Kevin Speaks9 Jun