List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Carp Date:March 17 1999 10:19am
Subject:Re: beeing informed of changes in rows in a table (real-time prices)
View as plain text
>Yes, most of the PCs in the office don't use databases, and employ
>proprietary technology to push the data.  I don't need this performance
>(up to hundreds of updates/sec, but am concerned about doing multiple
>repeated queries, even if I include timestamp information to reduce the
>data returned by the SELECT), as it will almost certainly produce a heavy
>load on the db server).

Maybe I just wasn't being clear.  You don't do the selects on the client,
but on the server.  You do it ONCE.  THEN you take the data and push it out
to all the clients.  If you do a select, then push out the data, then do
another select, and put that in a loop, I hardly think the database server
will break a sweat, as most of the server's time will be spent pushing out
the data to the clients rather than running queries.

Thread
Re: [spam 03.86/10.00 -pobox] beeing informed of changes in rows in a table (real-time prices)Ed Carp17 Mar
  • Re: beeing informed of changes in rows in a table (real-time prices)Simon J Mudd17 Mar
    • Re: beeing informed of changes in rows in a table (real-time prices)Michael Widenius17 Mar
      • Re: beeing informed of changes in rows in a table (real-time prices)Simon J Mudd17 Mar
Re: beeing informed of changes in rows in a table (real-time prices)Ed Carp17 Mar