List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Simon J Mudd Date:March 17 1999 9:41am
Subject:Re: beeing informed of changes in rows in a table (real-time prices)
View as plain text
On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Ed Carp wrote:

[my stuff snipped]

> A lot of the stuff I've seen uses some sort of push technology.  This can be
> as simple as doing a select to get the rows that have changed, then push the
> data out to the clients.  Easiest way, if you have TCP/IP, is to have a
> socket listening on the client - when the data changes, the server opens a
> socket to the client, pushed out the data, then closes the socket.  Of
> course, you have to contend with clients having to register their IP address
> with you and dealing with clients that go away and don't de-register.  You
> get the idea. :)

Yes, most of the PCs in the office don't use databases, and employ
proprietary technology to push the data.  I don't need this performance
(up to hundreds of updates/sec, but am concerned about doing multiple
repeated queries, even if I include timestamp information to reduce the
data returned by the SELECT), as it will almost certainly produce a heavy
load on the db server).

Maybe SQL just doesn't answer this question.

Simon

Simon Mudd  ********  All Trading Brokers Europe  *********  Madrid, Spain
Switchboard: +34-91-592 8188    Fax: +34-91-592 8170   Direct: 91-592 8250
Work email: simon.mudd@stripped  --- Home email: sjmudd@stripped
                                   ^

[ due to a temporary technical problem with 'alltrading.com' PLEASE
  send me correspondence to simon.mudd@stripped ]

Thread
Re: [spam 03.86/10.00 -pobox] beeing informed of changes in rows in a table (real-time prices)Ed Carp17 Mar
  • Re: beeing informed of changes in rows in a table (real-time prices)Simon J Mudd17 Mar
    • Re: beeing informed of changes in rows in a table (real-time prices)Michael Widenius17 Mar
      • Re: beeing informed of changes in rows in a table (real-time prices)Simon J Mudd17 Mar
Re: beeing informed of changes in rows in a table (real-time prices)Ed Carp17 Mar