List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Carp Date:March 11 1999 8:09pm
Subject:Re: sort of defragmentation?
View as plain text
>> Aha, yes, and speaking of dependencies, are table-to-table dependencies
>> spelled out anywhere (I couldn't find this in the on-line manual)?
>> If, for instance, you deleted a line from a table like "contacts", could
>> this leave any orphan data?
>>

>Yes, it could. Since mysql does not suport foreign keys
>and triggers, it is your responsiblity as a programmer
>to ensure that your deletes preserve database integrity

You mean "cascading updates and deletes", don't you?  Triggers and foreign
keys have little to do with whether or not deletes and updates cascade.

Thread
sort of defragmentation?Mike Otto11 Mar
  • Re: sort of defragmentation?kalle volkov11 Mar
  • Re: sort of defragmentation?Christian Mack11 Mar
    • Re: sort of defragmentation?Charles Kirby11 Mar
      • Re: sort of defragmentation?Sasha Pachev11 Mar
        • Re: sort of defragmentation?Charles Kirby11 Mar
          • Re: sort of defragmentation?Sasha Pachev11 Mar
            • Re: sort of defragmentation?Charles Kirby11 Mar
              • Splitting query results among machines?Brian Bray11 Mar
                • RE: Splitting query results among machines?Brett Error11 Mar
  • SIGSEV using Mysql++Sander Pilon26 Aug
Re: sort of defragmentation?Ed Carp11 Mar
  • Re: sort of defragmentation?Sasha Pachev11 Mar
Re: sort of defragmentation?Ed Carp11 Mar
  • Re: sort of defragmentation?Christian Mack12 Mar
Re: Splitting query results among machines?Fred Lindberg11 Mar
Re: sort of defragmentation?Ed Carp12 Mar
Re: sort of defragmentation?Christian Mack13 Mar
Re: sort of defragmentation?Ed Carp13 Mar