List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:May 25 1999 4:39pm
Subject:Re: Problem with MySQL
View as plain text
Oddvar Eirik Kaaby wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when I try to install MySQL I get this error-message:
> (mysqld daemon will not start)
>
> I have installed:
> MySQL-3.22.22-1.i386.rpm
> MySQL-client-3.22.22-1.i386.rpm
> MySQL-devel-3.22.22-1.i386.rpm
> MySQLmodule-1.4-1.i386.rpm

> rpm -Uvh MySQL-3.22.22-1.i386.rpm
> Giving mysqld a couple of seconds to exit nicely
> MySQL                       ##################################################
>
> PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
> This is done with:
> /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'
> See the manual for more instructions.
>
> NOTE:  If you are upgrading from a MySQL <= 3.22.10 you should run
> the /usr/bin/mysql_fix_privilege_tables. Otherwise you will not be
> able to use the new GRANT command!
>
> Please report any problems with the /usr/bin/mysqlbug script!
>
> The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at http://www.mysql.com
> Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at http://www.tcx.se/license.htmy.
>
> Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
> mysqld daemon ended

> When I try to start MySQL:
>
> mysql -u root -p
> Enter password:
> ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

> Whats the problem ?? I can't get MySQL up and run.
>

> Thanks from
>
> Oddvar Eirik Kaaby

You could probably get it to work with mysql -u root -p
-h `hostname` , but this is not the best solution as
this forces you to use TCP/IP which is not as efficient
as Unix sockets. I suspect the problem is that mysqld
and mysql have a different idea of the location of the
Unix socket. Check your config files and edit them
accordingly to make sure that they use the same location
of the socket.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com/ (home)