List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christopher R. Jones Date:May 30 2000 11:16pm
Subject:Re: Perl vs. PHP
View as plain text
I don't have a whole lot of experience but for every project I have done, I
asked if Perl was available on the WEB server and it has always been
available.  The WEB server administrator did not have to do any
thing.  Then I asked if MySQL was available and about half the time it was
and in the other cases, I got the System Admin to install MySQL with no
problems.  All the WEB servers I have worked on have C compiler but not all
have C++.  PHP is not universally available.  I am not sure if PHP can be
installed for all WEB servers.  Half my projects have been with Netscape
Enterprise server.

I have used Perl for WEB page generation because there is a lot of user
help available and because there are many modules specifically for HTML
generation.  I use C programs for number crunching.  Perl CGI scripts call
the C programs passing the correct arguements and the C programs return the
results.  When you need to solve linear system equations that are 40 x 864,
C is a good choice.  I am not sure that you can call executables from a PHP
script and use the returned results to generate the HTML.

Christopher R. Jones, P.Eng.
14 Oneida Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5J 2E3
Tel. 416 203-7465
Fax. 416 203-3044
Email cj@stripped

Thread
Re: Perl vs. PHPdaveh29 May
Re: Perl vs. PHPEd Carp29 May
  • Re: Perl vs. PHPOrlando Andico30 May
  • Re: Perl vs. PHPRičardas Čepas30 May
Re: Perl vs. PHPHarald Fuchs29 May
Re: Perl vs. PHPEd Carp29 May
Re: Perl vs. PHPHarald Fuchs29 May
Re: Perl vs. PHPEd Carp29 May
  • Re: Perl vs. PHPsasha29 May
Re: Perl vs. PHPJustin Farnsworth29 May
RE: Perl vs. PHPTom Haapanen29 May
RE: Perl vs. PHPSander Pilon30 May
Re: Perl vs. PHPOrlando Andico30 May
Re:Perl vs. PHPDave Brown30 May
  • Re:Perl vs. PHPOrlando Andico30 May
    • Re: Perl vs. PHPDave Brown30 May
RE: Perl vs. PHPTom Haapanen30 May
Re: Perl vs. PHPJames Treworgy30 May
Re: Perl vs. PHPJames Treworgy30 May
Re: Perl vs. PHPEd Carp30 May
  • Re: Perl vs. PHPOrlando Andico1 Jun
    • Re: Perl vs. PHPGustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios4 Jun
      • Re: Perl vs. PHPBenjamin Pflugmann4 Jun
Re: Perl vs. PHPsasha30 May
  • Re: Perl vs. PHPJames Treworgy30 May
    • Re: Perl vs. PHPChristopher R. Jones31 May
Re: Perl vs. PHPDouglas Robinson30 May
Re: Perl vs. PHPGustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios31 May