List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christopher R. Jones Date:May 30 2000 1:05pm
Subject:Re: Select hangs on win98 client
View as plain text
I had a problem with MyODBC and a select appearing to hang.  I had the
Tracy MyODBC box selected and I had log = c:\temp\my.log.

All this tracing and logging led to a huge amount of disk access for a
select * on a table with 2000 records.  I had to re-boot to get the query
to stop.

Once I turned off all tracing and logging, the select worked very fast.

>Sinisa,
>Sorry not being clear, but the client which is hanging is on one of the Two
>Win98 PC's. The client used can be myODBC (via delphi db explorer for
>instance) . It also hangs with another win32 client tool.
>
>I repeat the sequence
>
>With ODBC :
>1. Create the DSN : OK
>2. Launch Delphi DB explore, open the db with a correct username => OK
>3. and select the db->tables : the program shows all the tables. -> OK
>3. submit a simple select statement like "select * from tblname" : =>
>HANGING
>
>I know it is difficult for you to give me a direct answer, but I would like
>some
>hints to trace the problem. Is it a network problem ? Is it a locking
>problem ?
>
>Here is my original message :
>

> > MpeDiv writes:
> >  > Hello,
> >  > I am trying to fix the following problem. As I am a beginner, please,
> >  > tell me if this is the wrong forum and where I can find more info.
> >  >
> >  > Configuration :
> >  >
> >  > 1. 1 X RedHat Linux 6.1 running MySql server. 3.22.latest
> >  > 2. 2 Pc Win98 (myOdbc on it + another tool to configure the db)
> >  > 3. granted all priv on *.* to user@% and I use the same user on both pc
> >  > to connect to the database.
> >  >
> >  > Now the Problem :
> >  >
> >  > On the first pc I can connect to the database (via odbc or via a
>config.
> >  > tool ), See all the tables of the database and when I
> >  > execute "select * from tablename" the result is fast and fine. (again,
> >  > via odbc or the client tool)
> >  >
> >  > On the second pc, the connection is fine, all the tables are visible
>but
> >  > when I trigger the select execution, the client hangs.Sometimes, after
> >  > 10min I have a result sometimes not.
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > Now the strange thing :
> >  >
> >  > when I launch Access and link to the SAME database table via myODBC it
> >  > works fine !!!
> >  >
> >  > apparently it is the select * that makes some weird things over the
> >  > network ?
> >  >
> >  > Thank you very much
> >  >
> >  > desperate Marco
> >  >

>--

Christopher R. Jones, P.Eng.
14 Oneida Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5J 2E3
Tel. 416 203-7465
Fax. 416 203-3044
Email cj@stripped

Thread
Select hangs on win98 clientMpeDiv30 May
  • Re: Select hangs on win98 clientsinisa30 May
  • Re: Select hangs on win98 clientMpeDiv30 May
    • Re: Select hangs on win98 clientChristopher R. Jones30 May
    • Re: Select hangs on win98 clientsinisa30 May
  • Re: Select hangs on win98 clientMpeDiv30 May
    • Re: Select hangs on win98 clientsinisa30 May
  • Re: Select hangs on win98 clientMarco30 May
    • Re: Select hangs on win98 clientsinisa31 May
Re: Select hangs on win98 clientMarco5 Jun
  • Re: Select hangs on win98 clientsinisa5 Jun
Re: Select hangs on win98 clientMarco6 Jun