List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:May 25 1999 3:34am
Subject:Re: problem with indexing
View as plain text
Adam Powell wrote:

> Thanks a lot - I have made the changes to the database and it seems to be
> running much better now :)
>
> I have one question though... and this is causing NO END of problems to my
> company, and I have mentioned this before, and nobody seems to acknowledge
> its existence.  No offence, you are doing a great job!  I just want to point
> out a potential problem!
>
> We are basically getting a memory leak with our database server.  This is a
> SUN OS 5.6 server running only mySQL v3.22.20a with 1 Gigabyte of RAM.
> Every 2 days or so, it completely runs out of memory... here is the latest
> excerpt from top...
>
> 10715 root     338  58    0  647M  589M cpu1   91.6H 39.92% mysqld
>
> Now, I am not sure why this is happening, or what could cause mySQL to
> demand more and more memory, but it is...  There are about 900 seperate
> queries run on the database every second (1,500 at peak times), however it
> seems to be leaking memory somewhere.
>
> If somebody could help, or follow up this email with the exact information
> that I need to submit to help analyse the problem further that would be
> great.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Adam

When Monty gets around to this, he will probably suggest recompiling
mysqld with the debuging/profiling  options to see what is going on. In
the meantime a simple solution would be a periodic restart of mysqld. If
that does not help, it is not a memory leak, rather a query than
consumes too much memory.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com