List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:David Sklar Date:May 24 1999 7:39pm
Subject:Re: Database distribution
View as plain text
> Has anybody ever been able to use MySQL on a network
> cluster of Linux (or maybe not Linux) machines? If you
> have, could you share your experience and tips for
> setting it up.

We do this for TVGrid.Com. Because a lot of the data only changes once a day
(when we get new TV listings information) we have a cluster of database
servers behind a Cisco LocalDirector to provide failover and load balancing of
queries across the cluster.

When we get new data in the wee hours of the morning, we process it and insert
it into tables on a staging server. Then, the table files are copied to the
live database servers using rdist. They are copied to a temp directory, not to
the live database directory. rdist runs a program after copying the tables
that, for each table, LOCKs the table, moves the table files into the live
database directory, and then UNLOCKs the table.

This is sort of a special situation because we have so much control over how
the data changes -- for the data that users can edit at any time (personal
preferences, etc.) obviously this sort of thing doesn't work.

-dave

Thread
Database distributionDavid Johnson18 May
  • Re: Database distributionSasha Pachev18 May
    • Re: Database distributionunknown18 May
      • Re: Database distributionBenjamin Grosman18 May
        • Re: Database distributionMichael Widenius24 May
      • Re: Database distributionSasha Pachev24 May
RE: Database distributionPete Lancashire24 May
Re: Database distribution(David Sklar)24 May