List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:May 24 1999 5:48pm
Subject:Re: Database distribution
View as plain text
Michael Widenius wrote:
> writes:
> >> Well, Oracle lets you use a big shared RAID array (or any kind of drive
> >> array, they could just be concatenated drives, as long as they're shared)
> >> to allow multiple database servers to serve requests from a single data
> >> source.  They've got a ton of cross-server locking work done to make that
> >> happen tho, and I don't think MySQL's gonna be doing that any time soon.
> Benjamin> Distributed Database theory is an extremely difficult field. Although
> much
> Benjamin> research has been done on it since the 70's, no real major
> breakthroughs
> Benjamin> have yet been made, and there are really no commercial products
> available
> Benjamin> to perform any real multidatabase operations.
> <cut>
> Thanks Benjamin for your very good answer!
> I just wanted to add that by adding RAID and multiple CPU:s you can
> scale MySQL up a lot (the failover is still of course a problem).
> We have here at Linux EXPO got very good feedback for MySQL;  One of
> the most asked features (even before sub-selects) seems to be
> replication so we will look at this into the very near future!
> Regards,
> Monty

Has anybody ever been able to use MySQL on a network
cluster of Linux (or maybe not Linux) machines? If you
have, could you share your experience and tips for
setting it up.

Sasha Pachev (home) (work)
Database distributionDavid Johnson18 May
  • Re: Database distributionSasha Pachev18 May
    • Re: Database distributionunknown18 May
      • Re: Database distributionBenjamin Grosman18 May
        • Re: Database distributionMichael Widenius24 May
      • Re: Database distributionSasha Pachev24 May
RE: Database distributionPete Lancashire24 May
Re: Database distribution(David Sklar)24 May