List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gerald Clark Date:May 22 2000 3:09pm
Subject:Re: Problems with localhost access
View as plain text
sinisa@stripped wrote:

> Bill MacAllister writes:
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  > I have built 3.23.15-alpha-log on my Alpha Linux 6.1 system.  I am
>  > able to use the server just fine if a connect specifying the host
>  > name, but if I try to connect via local host I get the following
>  > error:
>  >
>  > > mysql -h localhost
>  > ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
>  > '/tmp/mysql.sock'
>  >
>  > Here is what I see looking at tmp
>  >
>  > > ls -l /tmp
>  > total 2
>  > srwxrwxrwx   1 mysql    mysql           0 May 22 23:37 mysqld.sock
>  > drwx------   2 mac      mac          1024 Apr 19 22:21 orbit-mac
>  > drwx------   2 root     root         1024 Apr 11 21:29 orbit-root
>  >
>  > Any ideas of what I should look at would be greatly appreciated.
>  >
>  > Thanks,
>  >
>  > Bill
>  >
>  > +------------------------------------
>  > | Bill MacAllister
>  > | 14219 Auburn Road
>  > | Grass Valley, CA 95949
>  > | 530-272-8555
>  >

> Hi!
>
> Check with ps or top programs that mysqld is still running.
>
> If it is and there are more then 3 instances of it, then check
> permissions on /tmp directory. They should be: drwxrwxrwt.
>
> This is a bit strange, I must admit.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sinisa

Please notice, that the server is using
/tmp/mysqld.sock,
and the client is looking for
/tmp/mysql.sock.

Pick one or the other and add the line
socket=/tmp/mysql.sock
    or
socket=/tmp/mysqld.sock

to both the [mysqld] and [client] sections.
ex:

[mysqld]
socket=/tmp/mysql.sock

[client]
socket=/tmp/mysql.sock

Thread
Problems with localhost accessBill MacAllister22 May
  • Bill MacAllister: Re: Problems with localhost accessbelltree22 May
  • Re: Problems with localhost accesssinisa22 May
    • Re: Problems with localhost accessBill MacAllister22 May
      • Re: Problems with localhost accesssinisa22 May
        • Re: Problems with localhost accessBill MacAllister22 May
          • Re: Problems with localhost accesssinisa22 May
  • Re: Problems with localhost accessGerald Clark22 May