List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:May 24 1999 2:46am
Subject:Re: DESCRIBE gets put off by selects on BLOB
View as plain text
> writes:

Stefan> Hello again list!
Stefan> My appologies for the typo in the subject, I blame it on lack of
Stefan> sleep...

Stefan> I have received a couple of suggestions. One was to try converting
Stefan> the BLOBs into TEXT, but that didn't help. Another suggestion was to
Stefan> put something like SUBSTRING(BlobAData,1,500) or LEFT(BlobAData,500)
Stefan> around all my BLOB-fields. That did it for my simple example, but
Stefan> unfortunately it doesn't work for a larger more complex database. It
Stefan> seems as if it does work as long as the upper limit of the substring
Stefan> is always _below_ the length of the shortest substring (i.e all BLOBs
Stefan> must get cut off) but I haven't been able to verify this properly. It
Stefan> does work for the simple example even if the upper limit does not cut
Stefan> off the BLOB-fields, but not for a larger database. :-(

Stefan> /Regards,
Stefan> Stefan Möhl <essett@stripped>

Hi!

I think this is a bug in the select distinct code;  This will be fixed in
MySQL 3.23 (the new MyISAM can use UNIQUE/DISTINCT on anything, even
BLOBS).

Regards,
Monty
Thread
DESCRIBE gets put off by selects on BLOBessett21 May
Re: DESCRIBE gets put off by selects on BLOBStefan Möhl21 May
Re: DESCRIBE gets put off by selects on BLOBMichael Widenius24 May