List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:May 24 1999 3:19am
Subject:Re: MIT Threads won't compile on FreeBSD 2.x
View as plain text
In the last episode (May 23), Hunter Hillegas said:
> So if I am using 2.2.7, do I need pthreads or not? I have heard
> both...

You need _some_ threds library.  You need MIT-pthreads if you haven't
manually compiled FreeBSD's native pthreads libs (if you din't know if
you have or not, you haven't).  Even if you do compile native threads,
2.2.7's implementation didn't support signals correctly, so a
"mysqladmin shutdown" won't shut down.

Luckily, mysql comes with MIT-pthreads and the port Makefile tells
mysql to use it if necessary.

> What do I DL? Just patches? Full source? Makefiles? I am SOOO
> confused.

All you need to download is the mysql port.  It includes a Makefile and
patches.  When you run "make" in the port directory, it will fetch the
mysql sources, extract them, patch them, run configure, and compile.  a
"make install" will install it.  For more information on ports, see
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ports.html .

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped
Thread
MIT Threads won't compile on FreeBSD 2.xHunter Hillegas24 May
  • Re: MIT Threads won't compile on FreeBSD 2.xDan Nelson24 May
Re: MIT Threads won't compile on FreeBSD 2.xThimble Smith24 May