List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Scott Liu Date:May 17 2000 6:54pm
Subject:Is this an effective way to check on the health of MySQL server?
View as plain text
Hi, All,

Recently we have installed MySQL on our database cluster
which runs TurboLinux. The intention with the cluster is
to have one MySQL up at any given time. Some of the people
in our group proposed the following combination to check
on the status of MySQL server:

1. To look for the MySQL server process -- if there is none
running, then the server needs is automatically restarted.

2. A simple cron job performing write/select/delete with 2 records
on a test table in the test database is used to provide a second
layer of assureance. If task can not be performed, the MySQL
server is assumed having serious problems and is automatically
shutdown and restart afterwards.

My questions are the following.

1. Can anyone tell us what does "mysqladmin ping" provide us
on the status of MySQL server? It tells if the server is "alive".
Can someone explain what the "alive" mean?

2. What is a better way to provide gauges on the health of MySQL
server?

For example we may be monitoring the number of locked up process
using "mysqladmin process". If there are tones of locked-up process
on 1 table, things may be wrong. If a process has locked up 1 table
for hours, we may need to look into the process. Could someone
provide us any suggestions?

Thanks very much.

Scott Liu
Software Developer
831 440 5718

TAPESTRY.NET - On Target, Online Recruiting
100 Enterprise Way, Suite A2, Scotts Valley, CA 95066

Visit our web sites at:
http://www.tapestry.net
http://www.asia-net.com      Bilingual Professionals
http://www.developers.net    Software Developers
http://www.itinfo.net        IT Professionals

Thread
What is the best data type to use for Japanese/Chinese/Korean textScott Liu3 Sep
  • Re: What is the best data type to use forJapanese/Chinese/Korean textchas5 Sep
  • Is this an effective way to check on the health of MySQL server?Scott Liu17 May
    • Re: Is this an effective way to check on the health of MySQL server?Jeremy D. Zawodny17 May