List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:jonathan michaels Date:March 17 1999 2:07am
Subject:Re: mysqlimport documentation
View as plain text
On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 06:49:32PM -0700, Thimble Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 12:37:53PM +1100, jonathan michaels wrote:

i;ve left this bit in, for others who might be interested.

> > some pointers would be apreciated .. this disabled person had probelms find
> > the documentation regarding cvs imports as well, i'm also looking at seting up
> > teh importation of an asksam database. this i can export as text delimited or
> > .dbf but need to know a bit of detail about how mysql handles text fields.
>
> http://mysql.he.net/Manual_chapter/manual_Tools.html#mysqlimport
>
>     This section describes the mysqlimport tool.
>
> http://mysql.he.net/Manual_chapter/manual_Reference.html#Load
>
>     This section (referenced from the above section) describes the
>     LOAD DATA INFILE command.  All of the examples in this section
>     are relevant to the mysqlimport tool (since mysqlimport uses
>     LOAD DATA INFILE internally).
>
> If you have the data in a tab-separated, quote-delimited file then
> you should not need to change the arguments for 'mysqlimport' at
> all!
>
> > i'm not asking, saying that the documentation should be pitched at vegetable
> > level survivors, but a little less 'assuming' about the usage of certain
> > idioms would make it easier to swallow and follow.
>
> Yes, I agree.  The manual is quite good if you're familiar with
> the basic concepts of databases and SQL.  But if you've never had
> the chance to work with relational databases before, there's a lot
> to learn.  And, the manual doesn't really give an easy road map for
> how to get from "I know nothing about this product" to "Now I can
> get my application working."

yup, and much better than i could have said it .. i'm not to
good at communications, either, i suppose communications and
reading writing skills go hand in hand .. so to speak.

> I'd love to write that documentation.  Maybe I will some day; right

i'd settle for being able to write .. grin, er sorry my sence
of humour is playing up today.

> now I just don't have the time.  Ah, well.  I guess in the mean time,
> just do the best you can with the manual, and then if you still have
> questions - ask!  Be as specific as you can (i.e., "I've gotten so
> far, having done X, Y, and Z; now I'm stuck because such-and-such
> is giving output PDQ (instead of LMNOP like I was expecting).  How do
> I get it to give me LMNOP?").

yes thank you for this pointer as well.

your assistance is much apreciated.

warm regards

jonathan

Jonathan Michaels
PO Box 144, Rosebery, NSW 1445 Australia

Thread
mysqlimport documentationSanford Carr17 Mar
  • Re: mysqlimport documentationThimble Smith17 Mar
    • Re: mysqlimport documentationjonathan michaels17 Mar