List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Van Date:May 21 1999 8:24pm
Subject:Re: A Little Off topic
View as plain text
Depending on the security issues your site has, what I've done using
cookies is a little less work.  The application I'm using is hosted on the
same server as the mail server at a company, and, it authenticates
employees who have a valid mail account be default.
Using a password field on a form (HTML 1.0), I'm sending that value in the
post, via php.
I do a php exec("finger",$uname), to ensure the email user exists, first.
This is only done the 1st time they access the secure site, since, I'm
letting them assign their own password (using a custom table rather than
Once, the email user is validated, I use the mysql password function to
encrypt the original password sent from the browser.
With the username/password pair, I send a cookie back to the browser with
a one-hour expire time.
In the actual form interface, I've created a log out option that basically
expires the cookie.
Let me know if this sounds useful, and, I'll send some code snippets.

Linux rocks!!!