List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christopher R. Jones Date:May 21 1999 7:59pm
Subject:Re: A Little Off topic
View as plain text
We just created an application which does what you are looking for.  We
used Perl, CGI to create the pages with information from a MySQL database.
We used Javascript to update the coming fields as the user works through
the items.  The problem with CGI is that there is no channel open to the
server, once the page is sent the script is finished.  Therefore, you have
to store all possible outcomes in the form either as Javascript variables
or as hidden fields.  Depending on how many options you have, this could
get complicated.

The other way to go is through java, an applet that communicates with a
serverlet that access the database.

>Hi
>
>I am creating a dB application using MySQL.
>
>When a user fills out a form I want to know if the following is possible:
>
>The form has 4 fields talking to two tables ...
>
>When the first field is completed on the form, then the user tabs to the
>next, I want a script to look into one of the tables to see if any other
>details exist for the record and to fill in the next 2 fields on the form
>automatically, then the user can tab to the last field and simply complete
>the last field ...
>
>The rest I know to update or insert etc.
>
>Would this be javascript? Does anyone have anything similar? Does this make
>sense?
>
>Thanks for all help.
>
>Regards
>
>Darren

Christopher R. Jones, P.Eng.
14 Oneida Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5J 2E3
Tel. 416 203-7465
Fax. 416 203-3044
Email cj@stripped

Thread
A Little Off topicDarren L Sweeney21 May
Re: A Little Off topicChristopher R. Jones21 May
  • Re: A Little Off topicVan22 May
Re: A Little Off topicPhilip Hallstrom22 May
RE: A Little Off topicDevraj Bhanot24 May