List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ed Carp Date:May 10 2000 12:17am
Subject:Re: load infile is taking forever
View as plain text
Voitenko, Denis (dvoitenko@stripped) writes:

> I have MySQL running on a tiny machine, Celeron 266 with 64Mb RAM and 18 Gig
> drive. I am trying to load data from a 150 meg file by
>
> create table url(domain varchar(50), email varchar(50), sic varchar(4),
> name varchar(50), phone varchar(25), contact varchar(50), fax varchar(25));
> Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
>
> mysql> load data infile '/home/denis/URL.txt' into table url fields
> terminated
> by ',' enclosed by '"' lines terminated by '\n';
>
> but it already has taken over an hour. top doesn't show mysqld as a top
> process, in fact, it doesn't show it at all (must be not high-priority) yet
> mysqladmin says it's running. It it normal?

Doesn't sound like it.  What version of MySQL are you using, and when you go
into MySQL, is there any data in the table?  How many records are in the input
file?

A 266 with 64 MB of RAM should work just fine (for Linux or *BSD, that is).
What OS are you using?
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG  	erc@stripped		940/367-2744 cell phone
			http://www.pobox.com/~erc