List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:sasha Date:May 7 2000 3:04am
Subject:Re: slashdot
View as plain text
Doug Chanco wrote:

> Ed Carp wrote:
>
> > Van (vanboers@stripped) writes:

> > > Mark:
> > >
> > > No, go to goto.com and search for MySQL.  About 3 - 4 months ago the
> pennies /
> > > hit was .03, it's now much higher.  An indication of growing use and/or
> > > interest.
> >
> > I don't know about the others, but I know for a fact that slashdot uses MySQL.
> >
> > --
>
> Hi all,
>     What is the deal with all the MySQL bashing in that slashdot article???  I
> understand that commit/rollbacks are nice to have and that transaction loging is
> great too (which I see MySQL does) but why are they bashing it so much??  Calling
> the developers either "liars" or "clueless" just because it does not do these
> things is silly.  I mean if they are not happy with MySQL why not just not use
> it???  Why do they have to bash it into the ground??  Personally I use MySQL at
> work (call tracking) and at home on my personal box and it works just
> fine.....expecially since I now know about transaction logging.  I just can't
> understand why people have to bash things that they are not happy with OR jealous
> of.  From the article and its responses you would think that MySQL is trying to
> push into the banking or other critical aplications when all it really is doing is
> providing a fast, fairly reliable, easy to, use free database to the public.

One thing that is important to understand that MySQL is work in progress. Our
eventuall goal is to make MySQL perfect choice for any database application.
This goal, of course, is idealistic, but we would like to approach it as much as
we can. Because our resources are limited, we must decide which missing features
are to be implemented first, based on what our customers and regular users ask
us and how cleanly it can be incorporated into the overall design.

I am wondering myself about the recent outrage of flames against MySQL, and can
only speculate about the reasons. I have a feeling that the problem is that we
do not quite fit into a steriotype of an open source project on one hand, and on
the other, we do not worship the "holy" rules of RDBMS implementation taught in
the academic world, and yet are able to produce a product that people can use
for a replacement of a more "conventional" database.

> AND I FOR ONE THANK ALL THE DEVOLOPERS of MySQL for the fine product they have
> developed and hope that they continue to modify and improve MySQL.

Thank you for your support.

> GOOD JOB GUYS AND KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!
>
> dougc

Sasha Pachev

|     /*/\*\/\*\   /*/ \*\ /*/ \*\ |*|     Sasha Pachev            |
|    /*/ /*/ /*/   \*\_   |*|   |*||*|     mailto:sasha@stripped  |
|   /*/ /*/ /*/\*\/*/  \*\|*|   |*||*|     Provo, Utah, USA        |
|  /*/     /*/  /*/\*\_/*/ \*\_/*/ |*|____                         |
|  ^^^^^^^^^^^^/*/^^^^^^^^^^^\*\^^^^^^^^^^^                        |
|             /*/             \*\ Developers Team                  |
slashdotAdam Powell5 May
  • Re: slashdotVan5 May
    • Re: slashdotMark Maggelet5 May
  • Re: slashdotVan5 May
  • Re: MySQL University session on March 12: MySQL and ZFSTodd Lyons12 Mar
Re: slashdotEd Carp5 May
Re: slashdotEd Carp5 May
  • Re: slashdotDoug Chanco5 May
  • Re: slashdotsasha7 May