List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Douglas Brantz Date:May 5 2000 7:43pm
Subject:Re: Learning MySQL
View as plain text
Book Reviews?

I'm new to Mysql and bought the O'REILLY book first and found it to be a great
resource something like cliff notes for Mysql, such as setting up permissions,
Timestamp, altering table commands etc. - I use it so much the pages are
falling out.

Just purchased the New Riders book and I'm only on the first chapter.  It reads
like a novel.  The writing is very good, attention to detail is great and it
keeps me interested.  I'm sure from all the great reviews that I'll enjoy this
book, but don't tell me how it ends.

Douglas

"Erich L. Markert" wrote:

> Comparison between the O'Reilly and New Rider's book?
>
> Because the New Rider's IS better than the O'Reilly - HANDS DOWN!
>
> More detail, better layout, and the writing is superior.  To top things
> off the example are better.  All in all it's a superior value and is
> more useful than O'Reilly's MySQL book.
>
> I have to say that I was extremely, extremely disappointed in the
> quality of the OReilly book.
>
> John Walker wrote:
> >
> > > New Riders book is
> > > better.
> >
> > I'm interested as to why you think so?
> >
> > John
> >
> > --

> Mr. Erich L. Markert                     emarkert@stripped
> Computer Learning Center                 TEL (914)422-4328
> Pace University
> 1 Martine Ave
> White Plains, New York 10606-1932
>
> Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
>                 -- Henry Spencer

Douglas Brantz
Computer Consultant
Fine & Applied Arts
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608

828-262-6312 FAX
828-262-6549 OFFICE
brantzdr@stripped

Thread
Learning MySQLJohn Kennedy5 May
  • Re: Learning MySQLPeter Schwenk5 May
  • Re: Learning MySQLThimble Smith9 May
RE: Learning MySQLJohn Walker5 May
  • Re: Learning MySQLErich L. Markert5 May
  • Re: Learning MySQLDouglas Brantz5 May
    • Mirroring to another host and table locking questionDavid Burry6 May
      • Re: Mirroring to another host and table locking questionThimble Smith10 May
  • Re: Learning MySQLTonci Grgin8 May
Re: Learning MySQLErich L. Markert8 May