List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Van Date:May 5 2000 4:37pm
Subject:Re: slashdot
View as plain text
Adam Powell wrote:

> http://slashdot.org/articles/00/05/05/0920247.shtml
>
> Does anybody have any comments about this article? :)  They arent being very
> nice... (read below)...  my concern is with the last part, the table level
> locking... I have been told by some people that its our major bottleneck,
> however by reading the mySQL site it says that table level locking is better
> than row-level for some things...  and Im still not sure which is better.
>
> MySQL has no subqueries.
> Instead of performing one complex query that is entirely processed on the
> database end, MySQL users have to perform 2 or more serial queries that each
> must go over inter-process or network communication between the app and the
> database. This significantly reduces the speed advantages of MySQL.
> MySQL has no stored procedures.
> If a series of DB actions need to be performed in a block, MySQL requires
> each SQL statement to be sent from the app, again in a serial manner, again
> over IPC or network.
> MySQL has no triggers or foreign key constraints.
> Data invariants must be maintained by application-level code, which requires
> building carefully-planned abstractions to guarantee integrity (for every
> means of accessing your DB), and even more unnecessary back-and-forth
> communication between the app and the database.
> MySQL only has table-level locking.
> Only one user can write to a table at the same time. For web usage, that
> falls under the category of "pathetic."
>
> Adam
Adam:

Take it with a grain of salt.  The /.-er's run the range of intelligent to
troll.  There are bright people who post {I hit it everyday, but, anyone here
who knows me knows that doesn't necessarily qualify me as bright >:) }, and
there are trolls.  I'm reading the thread now and there are some valid points.
Perhaps, it comes down to this:  I'm also developing a few apps by necessity
using SQL7, and, while the triggers and stored procedures would be nice, they
also take time to implement and test.

Having coded MySQL for over 3 years, I'm used to and comfortable with
controlling those things on the front-end in PHP, Access, or whatever.  To each
their own.  As to stability, my dbases are absolute rocks.  I love 'em.

The real answer to where this dbase is heading is in here, among the
contributors to this list and the MySQL team.  Also, take a look at goto.com on
a search for MySQL.  This dbase is going nowhere but forward and up.  Also,
let's not forget deja.com and slashdot.com.  It's ironic that the comments
deriding this dbase are going straight into the very dbase they're criticizing.

Regards,
Van
Linux rocks!!!   http://www.dedserius.com
slashdotAdam Powell5 May
  • Re: slashdotVan5 May
    • Re: slashdotMark Maggelet5 May
  • Re: slashdotVan5 May
  • Re: MySQL University session on March 12: MySQL and ZFSTodd Lyons12 Mar
Re: slashdotEd Carp5 May
Re: slashdotEd Carp5 May
  • Re: slashdotDoug Chanco5 May
  • Re: slashdotsasha7 May