List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:May 20 1999 10:55am
Subject:Re: upgrdaing mysql - 3.21.28-gamma - newest version
View as plain text
"Douglas B. Jones" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are currently on 3.21.28-gamma. I wish to upgrade to the most recent
> version of mysql. Here is the situation:
>
> According to the doc. in section 4.16.1, there is a version 3.23. On
> the download page, the most recent reference was 3.22. How do I get
> version 3.23 - or is it stable enough to be listed on that download page.
> If it is not stable enough - then I will wait.
>
> Assuming I just upgrade from 3.21.28-gamma to the most recent 3.22 release
> here are the questions:
>
> 1) does the most recent version of php3 support the correct C interface
>    changes for mysql_real_connect() and the need for mysql_init()?
>
> 2) the fix privilege stuff - no problem there.
>
> 3) the DATE type worries me - is there a way to convert from the old format
>    to the new format?
>
> If I am upgrading from 3.21.28-gamma to 3.23.?, then I have these questions:
>
> 1) 1,2,3 from above
>
> 2) Are the new myisam tables faster/better than the old nisam?
>
> 3) what is the syntax for the ALTER TABLE command to convert from the
>    old nisam to the new myisam? I did not see this in the documentation, but
>    that appeared to be for 3.22.
>
> 4) some of the watch out for in section 4.16.1:
>    a) What does float(4/8) are now true floating point type mean exactly? Does
>       it mean that the storage format is different? I assume that there is no
>       problem here since that is stated right above. If I update a table, will
>       the new table have the new storage format on that update col, but the
>       other cols/rows will have the old format? I have not programmed yet with
>       the C api, was the the reference to a float under the 3.22 and before not
>       a C float? If not, I guess the C code needs to be looked at. Understand
>       that this 4.a question is out of ignorance of programming with the C api
>       for mysql.
>    b) same with the decimal......
>
>    I guess one of my concerns is the PHP3 interface. Does the most recent
> version
>    PHP3 have all these things (1-4) taken care of?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Cheers,
> Douglas

Hi Douglas

Sorry for the late answer.

Version 3.23 isn't available yet.
The documentation is a little ahead, because it is changed when the according features are
implemented (not when released).
However it will come out soon (couple of days).

PHP3 supports the new 3.22.x protocol.
AFAIK 3.23 will not change this.

With the new priviledge system you only have additional possibilities.
So no problems there.

Convert the DATE columntype:
a) with the old MySQL version running, make a SQL dump (= CREATE and INSERT statements) of
all tables containing DATE columns:
   mysqldump --compleat-insert --quick database tables >dumpedTables.sql
b) DROP the tables dumped above
c) stop the old MySQL version
d) upgrade MySQL
e) start the new upgraded MySQL version
f) create the dumped tables by executing the dumped statements:
   mysql database <dumpedTables.sql
From now on you can work as before without changes in your programs.

BTW:
Watch out for MAX( value1, value2,... ), MIN( value1, value2,... ) function calls they
changed to GREATEST( value1, value2,... ), LEAST( value1, value2,... ).

I don't know 3.23 myself, so I can't give you any advice for this.

Tschau
Christian

Thread
upgrdaing mysql - 3.21.28-gamma - newest versionDouglas B. Jones18 May
  • Re: upgrdaing mysql - 3.21.28-gamma - newest versionChristian Mack20 May
  • upgrdaing mysql - 3.21.28-gamma - newest versionMichael Widenius24 May