List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Xah Lee Date:May 20 1999 4:08am
Subject:Re: best way to wipe info
View as plain text
Many people suggested:

> DELETE FROM tablename

Please note that my question asked for how to delete a database, not a
table. Linux ignoramuses, please pay attention.

Here's the question again: What is the 'best' (i.e. proper, standard,
scalable, expedient etc.) way to delete all info in a given database but
keeps the schema? (in mysql)

(Btw, I'm aware that one can delete certain files in mysql data directories
as a solution. My question stands as it is.)

Xah
xah@stripped
Home: http://www.best.com/~xah/PageTwo_dir/more.html
Work: http://www.brainpower.com/
"Perl my ass" (there are more than one way to express love, too!)

Xah wrote
> What's the standard way to wipe out every info in the database but keeps the
> schema?
>
> What I do now is to dump the database without data to a file, then drop the
> database, then create it, then load it back from the file. (just learned
> from this mailing list)
>

> $mysqldump --no-data --password --host=server_name1 db_name > file_full_path
> $mysqladmin --password --host=server_name1 --force drop db_name
> $mysqladmin --password --host=server_name1 create db_name
> $mysql --password --host=server_name1 db_name < file_full_path
>

> Are there alternative? and what's the 'proper' way?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Xah
Thread
best way to wipe infoXah Lee19 May
Re: best way to wipe infoGraeme B. Davis19 May
  • Re: best way to wipe infoFraser MacKenzie19 May
    • Re: best way to wipe infoglen19 May
    • Re: best way to wipe infoPaul DuBois19 May
Re: best way to wipe infojkraai19 May
Re: best way to wipe infoPiet Wesselman19 May
Re: best way to wipe infounknown19 May
Re: best way to wipe infoXah Lee20 May
Re: best way to wipe infoSasha Pachev20 May
Re: best way to wipe infoThimble Smith20 May
Re: best way to wipe infoPaul DuBois20 May
Re: best way to wipe infoGraeme B. Davis20 May