List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:May 19 1999 3:02pm
Subject:Re: keeping order of insertion.
View as plain text
In the last episode (May 18), Stephen F. Johnston Jr. said:
> At 04:57 PM 5/18/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >PS: If I'm wrong, I'll send $10 US to the first person who convinces
> >me that SQL92 dictates order of insertion as a default ordering...
>
> SQL92 may even go so far as to explicitly say that the default order
> is however it comes out. :) However, an interesting note is that my
> msSQL server maintains insertion order quite well, but I would never
> rely on it.

Most databases I've seen maintain insertion order, but only until you
delete a record.  Then the DB engine is free to insert the next record
into the unused space.  This gets even more interesting when your
records are variable-length.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped
Thread
Re: Re: keeping order of insertion.Carlos Paz19 May
  • Re: Re: keeping order of insertion.Thimble Smith19 May
  • Re: Re: keeping order of insertion.Pete Harlan19 May
    • Re: keeping order of insertion.Carlos Paz19 May
      • Re: keeping order of insertion.Michael Widenius22 May
      • Re: keeping order of insertion.Michael Widenius22 May
    • Re: Re: keeping order of insertion.Stephen F. Johnston Jr.19 May
      • Re: keeping order of insertion.Dan Nelson19 May