List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:May 18 1999 9:56pm
Subject:Re: Joining tables
View as plain text
On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 02:43:22PM -0700, Dan Parisien wrote:
> Why would I want to join my tables? how would I do it?  will it save
> me from doing selects where i see if (table1.sID=table2.sID) ??

Doing selects where you see if (table1.sID=table2.sID) is exactly
how you join your tables.

    SELECT
        a_field1, a_field2, b_field1, b_field2
    FROM
        a, b    # THIS IS THE JOIN
    WHERE
        a.id = b.a_id

These kinds of selects are NOT something to be avoided!  If you
are using a relational database, you want to be joining tables.
That's what relational databases are all about.

If this isn't what you were asking, please be more explicit.

Tim
Thread
Joining tablesDan Parisien19 May
  • Re: Joining tablesThimble Smith19 May
  • Re: Joining tablesJim Faucette19 May
    • Re: Joining tablespeter19 May
      • Re: Joining tablesBenjamin Pflugmann21 May