List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:May 18 1999 9:56pm
Subject:Re: Joining tables
View as plain text
On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 02:43:22PM -0700, Dan Parisien wrote:
> Why would I want to join my tables? how would I do it?  will it save
> me from doing selects where i see if (table1.sID=table2.sID) ??

Doing selects where you see if (table1.sID=table2.sID) is exactly
how you join your tables.

        a_field1, a_field2, b_field1, b_field2
        a, b    # THIS IS THE JOIN
    WHERE = b.a_id

These kinds of selects are NOT something to be avoided!  If you
are using a relational database, you want to be joining tables.
That's what relational databases are all about.

If this isn't what you were asking, please be more explicit.

Joining tablesDan Parisien19 May
  • Re: Joining tablesThimble Smith19 May
  • Re: Joining tablesJim Faucette19 May
    • Re: Joining tablespeter19 May
      • Re: Joining tablesBenjamin Pflugmann21 May