List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jochen Haeberle Date:March 16 1999 10:45pm
Subject:Re: Can I get a field when inserting a row?
View as plain text
At 14:36 Uhr -0700 16.03.1999, Thimble Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 10:20:20PM +0100, Jochen Haeberle wrote:
>> thanks for your helping efforts, but it does not work. When I enter

> The last insert id is stored *per thread*, not per table.  When
> you select LAST_INSERT_ID(), it checks your thread for the most
> recent ID inserted.  This is critical for correct performance of
> programs, because more than one thread can be updating a table.
> If LAST_INSERT_ID() returned the most recent ID for a table, you
> could not be sure it belonged to the row you just inserted or a
> row that someone else inserted.

Ah thank you, that helps. Is a thread every instance of for example
'mysql' or is there some way to make sure I get the ID belonging to
the correct row?

> Since you just went into the 'mysql' program (which started a
> new thread) and then issued 'SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID()', there was
> no previous id inserted for your thread.  If you try inserting
> a row and then selecting LAST_INSERT_ID() right afterwards (i.e.,
> without quitting the 'mysql' program), you will get back the ID
> that was just created.
>
>> I tried
>>
>> select LAST_INSERT_ID(Insert Into Item (Name) Values ('Test'));
>>
>> this would be the perfect syntax for my problem, but I got
>>
>> ERROR 1064: parse error near 'Insert Into Item (Name) Values
>> ('Test'))' at line 1
>
> You really should be familiar with SQL to some degree.  All of
> the syntax of MySQL is described in the manual.  If it's not in
> the manual, it won't work!

I am trying to get familiar with SQL. The MySQL-Manual really is not
much help for an unexperienced guy like me. I am awaiting the
O'Reilly Book on MySQL/mSQL to be delivered, hopefully, that will
help.

As Last_Insert_ID() seems to be a function, what can be passed to the
function when the code I tried is not permitted.

Jochen
Thread
Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Martin B. Jespersen15 Mar
  • Re: Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Karl Pielorz15 Mar
    • Re: Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Robert Hazeltine15 Mar
    • Re: Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Dennis15 Mar
  • Re: Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Dennis15 Mar
  • Re: Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Karl Pielorz15 Mar
Re: Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Fred Lindberg15 Mar
Re: Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Ed Carp15 Mar
  • Re: Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Martin B. Jespersen16 Mar
    • Can I get a field when inserting a row?Jochen Haeberle16 Mar
      • Re: Can I get a field when inserting a row?Thimble Smith16 Mar
        • Re: Can I get a field when inserting a row?Jochen Haeberle16 Mar
          • Re: Can I get a field when inserting a row?Thimble Smith16 Mar
    • Re: Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Micheal Mc Evoy16 Mar
Re: Do something about the spam, or this list is useless :(Fred Lindberg16 Mar
Re: Can I get a field when inserting a row?Jochen Haeberle16 Mar
Re: Can I get a field when inserting a row?Ed Carp17 Mar