List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:May 18 1999 9:50pm
Subject:Re: Re: keeping order of insertion.
View as plain text
On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 04:38:41PM -0500, Carlos Paz wrote:
> listing, and unless you have defined a primary key (see Day 10,
> "Creating Views and Indexes"), your query comes out in the order the
> rows were entered."
>
> I wonder if I can trust on this feature with "insert into x select .."
> and expect "insert into x values..." compliment in newer releases or
> I'll need to use the extra column workaround ?

I don't think any application should ever have trusted this, unless
the DB docs specifically stated that they will guarantee it.  All of
the documentation for MySQL reads that you are not guaranteed any
order unless you specify an ORDER BY clause.

For MySQL to guarantee this they'd have to store that order somewhere,
or else be really limited in how they handle the data, thus hurting
performance.  I don't want them to do that.

Tim
Thread
Re: Re: keeping order of insertion.Carlos Paz19 May
  • Re: Re: keeping order of insertion.Thimble Smith19 May
  • Re: Re: keeping order of insertion.Pete Harlan19 May
    • Re: keeping order of insertion.Carlos Paz19 May
      • Re: keeping order of insertion.Michael Widenius22 May
      • Re: keeping order of insertion.Michael Widenius22 May
    • Re: Re: keeping order of insertion.Stephen F. Johnston Jr.19 May
      • Re: keeping order of insertion.Dan Nelson19 May