List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:May 18 1999 8:07pm
Subject:Re: Out of memory using order by on 19 records!
View as plain text
On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 11:51:00AM -0700, Shafir wrote:
> Q: If I am only sorting 19 rows, why is there an out of memory situation?
>
> mySQL seems to be sorting the entire table? is there a workaround where
> i can get mysql to sort just the results of the 1st request?

It should not be sorting the whole table, it should only sort the
rows that match the query (before any LIMIT is applied, though, for
the obvious reason).

The only piece of important info you left out of your message is what
OS and version of MySQL you're using.  This one looks tricky - I'm
not exactly sure where to start finding the problem (unless it is
obvious to someone else), but I'd suggest building a debugging version
of the latest MySQL, and running it with --debug, and then maybe the
debugging trace file will give a clue about what's going wrong.  Thank
you for giving so much good information - it helps to eliminate a lot
of the possibilities of what might be wrong.

Tim
Thread
Out of memory using order by on 19 records!Shafir18 May
  • Re: Out of memory using order by on 19 records!Bill Rhodes18 May
    • Re: Out of memory using order by on 19 records!Shafir18 May
  • Re: Out of memory using order by on 19 records!Thimble Smith19 May
    • Re: Out of memory using order by on 19 records!Shafir19 May
      • Re: Out of memory using order by on 19 records!Thimble Smith19 May
        • Re: Out of memory using order by on 19 records!Shafir19 May
          • Re: Out of memory using order by on 19 records!Thimble Smith19 May
  • Out of memory using order by on 19 records!Michael Widenius24 May