List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Douglas Brantz Date:April 23 2000 4:24pm
Subject:Check Box question
View as plain text

Thanks for all the code for this project with software and labs, I plan
to work on it after today - Easter Holiday (must spend quality time with
friends).

Anyway, my question is about the links database:  Let me summarize the
tables.

First table holds software information:

Second table holds lab information:

Third table will hold link information matching up software_id to
lab_id:

My question is on the table for the links.  Can I store multiple numbers
in one field? Silly?
When I keep imagining the table I keep thinking that it will have to
grow by inserting new fields for each piece of software?  But maybe the
sample below might work?

#Fields  Link_ID#    Software_ID#      Lab_ID#                 or would
Lab_ID# be
           1                          1
1,2,3,4,5,6,7            1:1,2:1,3:1,4:1,5:1,6:1,7:1
           2                          2
1,2,5,6,7                  1:1,2:1,3:0,4:0,5:1,6:1,7:1
           3                          3
1,5,6                        1:1,2:0,3:0,4:0,5:1,6:1,7:0

The last example would  hold the info of the lab id and a 1 for the
checkbox checked and 0 for checkbox not checked?  I think I'm making
this harder than it needs to be.

So, can the Lab_ID field have all the ids of the labs in one field and
what type of field should I use and should I use seperators?  And if the
above can work do I really need a links table?  I guess with the admin
form for creating links I will have a drop down menu to select the
software and then I will create the list of checkboxes next to the lab
names and instead of a long list I would like to have tables of
checkboxes - for example 3 or 4 wide and not one long list of
checkboxes, but I might have to settle for the big list.

Thanks again - It will probably start making sense to me when I begin
writing the code.

Douglas

Thread
Check Box questionDouglas Brantz23 Apr
  • RE: Check Box questionbenjamin-weiss24 Apr
    • Re: Check Box questionDouglas Brantz24 Apr
      • RE: Check Box questionbenjamin-weiss24 Apr