List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:May 18 1999 2:56am
Subject:Re: Database distribution
View as plain text
David Johnson wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I was wondering if anyone out there has ever figured out how to distribute their data
> across multiple database instances.  What I'm kind of looking for is a RAID array for my
> database, so that I can load balance the work across multiple CPUs and have error failover
> in the case that one machine goes down.  Any MySQL solutions?  Any other out of the box
> solutions?
>
> I am betting this is a very hard problem to solve but at my database's/service's
> current rate of growth I am going to run out of database CPU cycles in a matter of
> months...
>
> Thanks,
>
> DJ

I am not sure if RAID has much to do with multiple CPU utilization, some
correct me if I am wrong, but it is there to speed up disk access and/or
provide redundancy. I think it is more of an OS configuration issue than
MySQL, since MySQL relies on the filesystem to store the data.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com