List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:May 18 1999 12:47am
Subject:Re: MySQL and database design problem
View as plain text
On Mon, May 10, 1999 at 09:35:25AM +0000, Sandrine C. wrote:
> Hi!
> I am going to create a database. interested by your mail. I would like to
> know where i ll write the statement CREATE TABLE.......
> Where has to be located this file ?? How can I run it?
> Thank you
> Sandrine.

Sandrine, there are many ways to do send commands to a MySQL
database.

First, you should probably use the 'mysql' monitor program.  It
lets you type in any SQL commands you like, so you can get
familiar with CREATE, INSERT, SELECT, DELETE, etc.  And, even
after you start using SQL in your programs, you'll still want to
use the 'mysql' program at times to do maintenance, to see
quickly what is in your database, to test out queries, etc.  So
it's good to get familiar with that program.  If you have trouble
using the 'mysql' program, please ask the person who installed
MySQL on your system for help in connecting to a database and
issuing commands.  The 'mysql' program is also covered in the
online manual (and of course, all of the SQL commands mentioned
in the manual can be used in the 'mysql' program).

Once you're familiar with how SQL works by using the 'mysql'
program, it is time to use SQL in your programs.  How to do this
depends on what programming language you use.  SQL requires a
"host" language - C, C++, Perl, PHP, Python, etc. are all
examples of host languages that have MySQL bindings.  The fastest
way to get started is to find a program in your language of
choice that uses MySQL.  Read through the program to see how SQL
commands are made, and how the results are used.  Then make a
VERY SIMPLE program on your own.  Once you've gotten a very
simple program to work, start adding to it until you are
comfortable.

If you run into problems, please be as specific as you can in
letting us know what's wrong.  We can not help you unless you
tell us what you need.

Tim
Thread
MySQL and database design problemkalle volkov6 May
  • Re: MySQL and database design problemChristian Mack6 May
Re: MySQL and database design problemSandrine C.18 May
  • Re: MySQL and database design problemThimble Smith18 May