List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Van Date:May 18 1999 12:23am
Subject:Re: Parsing of Mail files into a Database
View as plain text
Ben Margolin wrote:

> You really want a combination of a database (with fields for subject,
> author, body, etc.) and some sort of full-text indexing system, to
> build indexes for the body fields. It would definitely be useful...
>
> [ Ben Margolin - ben@stripped ]

<--snipped-->
Ben, thanks for the note of interest.  Right now, I'm parsing it at bash
looking for the 'From -' line, and, going from there.  My chief concern,
is that this could be an extremely long operation in bash, so, I was
hoping for a quick c kludge.  But, oh well.

My approach:
1>	cat the mail file;
2>	Find the 'From -' line and stick it in a variable;
3>	At the line feed and, up to the 1st blank line (message) read into an
envelope variable;
4>	Read in the message until the next blank line into a message
variable;
5>	Loop 'til done.
Thoughts/pitfalls, would be helpful.
Van
Linux rocks!!!   www.dedserius.com
Per User Password AdministrationVan13 May
  • Per User Password AdministrationMichael Widenius13 May
  • Re: Per User Password AdministrationChristian Mack14 May
  • PHP Tracking of Variables (was) Per User Password AdministrationVan16 May
  • Re: PHP Tracking of Variables (was) Per User Password Administration (Never Mind)Van16 May
  • Re: PHP Tracking of Variables (was) Per User Password AdministrationSasha Pachev17 May
    • Re: PHP Tracking of Variables (was) Per User PasswordAdministrationShafir17 May
  • Re: PHP Tracking of Variables (was) Per User Password AdministrationVan17 May
  • Re: PHP Tracking of Variables (was) Per User PasswordAdministrationVan17 May
  • Re: PHP Tracking of Variables (was) Per User Password AdministrationSasha Pachev17 May
  • Parsing of Mail files into a DatabaseVan18 May
    • Parsing of Mail files into a DatabaseMichael Widenius22 May
    • Parsing of Mail files into a DatabaseMichael Widenius22 May
  • Now, How to sed on Perl Vars?Van18 May
    • Re: Now, How to sed on Perl Vars?Thimble Smith18 May
  • Re: Now, How to sed on Perl Vars?Van19 May
Re: Parsing of Mail files into a DatabaseVan18 May
  • Re: Parsing of Mail files into a DatabaseDaniel E. White18 May