List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Daniel Koch Date:May 17 1999 8:46pm
Subject:Re: database names with periods?
View as plain text
Cliff Addy wrote:

> We're upgrading to 3.22 and I've hit a major snag.  It seems that mysql
> won't let me create database names with periods in them.  Is this true?
> If so, *why*?  Is there a workaround?
>
> Cliff

MySQL 3.22 supports SQL statements across multiple databases.  So you can do:

select * from database.table, database2.table2 ....

Imagine if you had to use "data.base.tablename" -- is the database
"data.base" and the table "tablename" or is the database "data" and the table
"base.tablename".  There's no way the SQL parser can know, so therefore
periods aren't allowed.

I'd use underscores instead of periods.

--
Dan Koch
Webmaster

Thread
database names with periods?Cliff Addy18 May
  • Re: database names with periods?Daniel Koch18 May
RE: database names with periods?Cliff Addy18 May