List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Verle Harrison Date:May 17 1999 12:24pm
Subject:Re: MySQL Speed on Linux
View as plain text
Dear Monty and The List:

Does this also apply to compiling MySQL on FreeBSD?

Do you have a suggested configure line for it or should we use a binary that is
on tcx.se site for FreeBSD?

Thanks, Verle

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 00:07:09 +0300 (EEST), you wrote:

> writes:
>
>Brandon> I am trying to squeeze every bit of extra speed out of MySQL 3.22 running
> on
>Brandon> a dual processor Linux box with quite a bit of RAM.  Does anyone have
>Brandon> compile options or runtime options that they have found particularly
>Brandon> helpful.
>
>Brandon> I think we do everything at compile (-static is default, right?).  But I
>Brandon> have read that pgcc is faster than gcc.  Right now I compile with gcc
>Brandon> 2.7.2.3.  Is the pgcc thing still true?  And is there a downside to using
>Brandon> pgcc?
>
>Brandon> Thank you.
>
>Brandon> -Brandon
>
>Hi!
>
>pgcc (and also egcs 1.1.2) makes the MySQL benchmarks about 11 % faster !
>There is no downside that I know off.
>
>Another option is to buy the Cygnus toolkit from www.cygnus.com;  This
>is very inexpensive, includes gcc 2.9 and gives you even better code
>than pgcc!  (The standard MySQL rpm:s are compiled with gcc 2.9 !)
>
>We use the following configure line to get a fast MySQL version:
>
>CFLAGS="-O6 -mpentium -fomit-frame-pointer" CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-O6 -mpentium
> -fomit-frame-pointer -felide-constructors -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti" ./configure
> --prefix=/usr/local/mysql --enable-assembler --with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static
> --disable-shared
>
>Regards,
>Monty

Verle Harrison
Battery Wholesale Distributors
2605 Gabriel View Dr
Georgetown, TX 78628
512.869.6280 ph   512.942.1036 fax
Batteries for your UPS
http://batterywholesale.com/
batterywholesale@stripped
Thread
compiling mysql 3.22.21 on DU 4.0eDouglas B. Jones29 Apr
  • MySQL Speed on LinuxBrandon Pulsipher29 Apr
    • MySQL Speed on LinuxMichael Widenius30 Apr
      • Re: MySQL Speed on Linux(Verle Harrison)17 May
        • Re: MySQL Speed on LinuxMichael Widenius24 May
  • compiling mysql 3.22.21 on DU 4.0eMichael Widenius30 Apr
  • Re: compiling mysql 3.22.21 on DU 4.0eDouglas B. Jones3 May
Re: MySQL Speed on LinuxFred Lindberg30 Apr