List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:March 16 1999 6:10pm
Subject:Re: (newbie ?) listing unique entries in two columns
View as plain text
Jerry Preeper wrote:
> Not each unique combination, but each unique entry - let's say name_1 had
> 50 unique entries and name_2 had 51 unique entries, the 50 in name_1 plus a
> misspelling of ssally.
> I would be trying to find the misspelling or other names and such.  I
> wonder if another way to accomplish this would be to create another table
> with the allowable names and then display the non-matching records in the
> main table with a select statement, but now I'm lost again.
> I tried :
> select * from results_table where name_1 or name_2 not = names_table.names
> into outfile /tmp/badnames.txt;
> which I hoped would give me a list of all the records with non-matching
> names but I get ERROR 1064: parse error near '= names_table.names into
> outfile /tmp/badnames.txt' at line 1
> Any thoughts?
> Jerry
< cut >

Hi Jerry

Perhaps you should get a SQL book first :)

The above SELECT should be:
	, names_table
	results_table.name_1 <> names_table.names
	OR results_table.name_2 <> names_table.names

The above conctenation of tables is called 'JOIN' (if you want to read about it e.g. in
the manual)

(newbie ?) listing unique entries in two columnsJerry Preeper16 Mar
  • Re: (newbie ?) listing unique entries in two columnsChristian Mack16 Mar
Re: (newbie ?) listing unique entries in two columnsJerry Preeper16 Mar