List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:May 17 1999 1:27am
Subject:Re: help - not allowed to connect
View as plain text
Ed Keith wrote:

> I need help. I just installed mySQL on FreeBSD. It appears to have built
> and installed properly, but when ever I try to do anything with it
> (issue a mysql or mysqladmin command) I get the following error message:
>
> error : 'Host 'localhost.hgc.kew.com' is not allowed to connect to this
> MySQL server'
>
> I am issuing the from the same computer that I did the install on. Can
> anyone give me a hint as to what might cause this problem and how to
> correct it?
>
> thank    you,
>
>     -EdK

Looks like your in-addr.arpa record in the DNS server (or /etc/hosts
entry) is confusing MySQL. When you establish a TCP/IP connection, MySQL
will call gethostbyaddr() to figure out where you are coming from, then
check for a match in the privilige tables. If you have not changed the
defaults, localhost is allowed to connect, while anything else is not.
localhost.hgc.kew.com is not the same as localhost. So if you have root
access, fix /etc/hosts or the DNS server. Otherwise, start mysqld with
--skip-grant-tables, edit the table 'host' in mysql database to allow
connects from 127.0.0.1, then re-start mysqld normally.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com