List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:<unknown Date:May 14 1999 9:10pm
Subject:Re: count_distinct?
View as plain text
We've now implemented the suggestion that we do an 'insert into <table>
select xxxx' and then do selects from there, and it all seems quite fast
now...

---
tani hosokawa
river styx internet

On Fri, 14 May 1999, Michael Widenius wrote:

> unknown> *grumble*
> unknown> Ah well.  We've got an alternate solution, where we just have a counter
> unknown> that adds one every time a duplicate IP hits the database.  Now MySQL's
> unknown> crashing our machine 'coz there's too much stuff hitting it :-(
>
> unknown> ---
> unknown> tani hosokawa
> unknown> river styx internet
>
> Could you describe your problem a little better?
> MySQL should not be able to crash your machine....
>
> How do you update the counter?
>
> UPDATE table set counter=counter+1 where ip_no=#;
>
> should be VERY fast.
>
> Regards,
> Monty

Thread
count_distinct?unknown13 May
  • Re: count_distinct?Christian Mack14 May
    • Re: count_distinct?unknown14 May
      • Re: count_distinct?Michael Widenius15 May
        • Re: count_distinct?unknown15 May